By Staff reports
Residents in the northwest section of the city were advised to stay indoors while firefighters and a hazardous materials team cleaned up a hazardous chemical spill Friday morning, officials said.
Shortly after 7:30 a.m., Delray Beach Fire-Rescue personnel arrived at the home on NW 11th Street near NW Fifth Avenue, where units found two containers containing muriatic acid and chlorine.
The container with the chemical, also called hydrochloric acid solution, had spilled and was emptied onto the ground, said Lt. Curtis Jepsen, spokesman for Delray Beach Fire-Rescue.
“The chlorine jug was leaking and still contained fluid,” Jepsen said.
Hyrdochloric acid is a poisonous, colorless solution that has numerous industrial uses, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. It is corrosive to the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes, the agency says on its web site.
Once the chlorine jug was contained, the entire area was washed down with water until the HAZMAT team got normal readings on all monitoring equipment.