November 30, 2012 ·
Now if losing weight is not important to you – that’s OK with me – I’m only talking to the ones who WANT to lose weight! My friends come in all shapes and sizes and I love every one of them.
So often an “expert” will tell you what you MUST do…I only explain why it’s best for your long range healthy life… and tell you also that you most certainly can lose weight IF it’s most important to you. Some people pretend it isn’t.
First of all, forget about diet books and structured diets. If you find one that works, you’re lucky. Most often they merely serve as a temporary crutch that people revert from. The high recidivism rate among dieters is well documented.
Next, you must realize this is a job for you and you alone… and that no diet book, or person, can be responsible for YOUR weight loss.
If you’re not serious about it, read no further, but, if you are, consider what I’m about to say; it could forever change your life for the better.
About 25 years ago a major publisher that I was already in the middle of writing a book for asked me to write a diet book next. They said I must be an expert on the subject since I was able to keep myself slim all my life, and, if I would share my methods, they thought it would be a hot seller. I snapped back and asked them if they thought they could sell a one page diet book …because all I had to say on the subject goes like this:
“Take charge of your life…
just eat less…
if THAT doesn’t work…
Needless to say they withdrew the offer!
You KNOW that you’re gaining weight or eating too much when your clothes begin to tighten up a little. At that point, you have two choices… I don’t really need to tell you, but I will anyway!… Cut back on your food intake so you can fit into that favorite garment again OR go out and buy the next size up. We all have the same choices…. Of course, the correct one is just eat less. That’s all I do. I check the fit whenever I put my favorite jeans on, and then do what I have to do.
What does it mean Just Eat Less…less than what?
This is important. The answer is very personal. For example, if YOU are putting 3 tablespoons of mashed potatoes on your plate…put 2 only. If after a couple of weeks you are not losing the expected pounds, start putting only 1 tablespoon on your plate. Carry this through with everything you eat. Believe me
nothing will happen to you with less food…only that your stomach will shrink and be less and less demanding as time goes on.
Check Your Mind Set….Here’s The Deal
You can ONLY rely on yourself….it’s YOUR body, it’s YOUR brain and it’s YOUR arm that keeps going up and down putting food in your mouth. You already KNOW what to do…you just don’t want to do it…right? I don’t mean to sound mean – this is how I have lived keeping my weight down. I’m just trying to show that you don’t need anyone’s book or special food buying or any other gimmick to get the pounds off…Check Your Mind Set and go for it on your own…just eat less. You might just add many more healthy years to your life span and feel better along the way.
Here Are a Few Tips To Help Get You Started
* When you sit down at the table change your image of the food on the plate. See it, not as a full plate of food, but rather as “small bits” to be eaten one bite at a time, slowly….no slower!! Put your fork down after each bite and take the time to enjoy the flavor and sensation of the food. Rushing, even a snack, doesn’t give your brain enough time to recognize when your stomach is full. Taking your time will cause you to feel more full with less food, and will also lighten the load on your digestive system.
* Don’t believe “experts” who say you need a big breakfast when on a diet. The more you eat, the more you want to eat. Unless you are a school child, satisfy morning hunger with a small breakfast, then, if necessary, have a tiny snack at mid-morning. It’s better to eat five small meals (or snacks) a day than three big ones. We do not need 3 big meals a day!
* Don’t give up your favorite food. You won’t make it through your lifetime doing this. Just eat a lot less of it and don’t feel guilty. I love certain candy, so I take out one or two, close the bag and put it away, knowing beforehand that’s all I’ll get. If the bag isn’t right there, I don’t suffer from the “just-one-more” syndrome.
* Use a luncheon plate at all meals rather than a larger dinner plate. You’ll clean your plate with less food. Remember, the less you eat, the less you will want to eat because your stomach will shrink and will not be able to physically hold as much food.
* You’ve heard this before: Push away from the table hungry and, in less than twenty minutes, you won’t be hungry anymore. It’s true! So, stretch your meals out. Since it takes less than twenty minutes for the brain to assimilate hunger impulses, take half of your normal portion and eat it slowly over twenty minutes. YOU WILL FEEL FULL! Have you ever been interrupted in the middle of a meal, then, on returning to the table, you didn’t feel like eating any more? It’s the same principal.
I hope you will give it a try – just eating less means you don’t have to give up your favorite foods!! Now THAT is something.
Until next time,
Biography: Oleda Baker began her career as a high fashion model with the prestigious Wilhelmina Model Agency, in New York City. She is the author of ten books on beauty, health and anti-aging and one novel Reluctant Goddess. She is founder and CEO of Oleda and Company, Inc., her 40-year-old anti-aging products company for skin, hair, diet, energy, nutritional supplement products as well as special makeup (www.oleda.com). Oleda is also a visionary artist. Her oil paintings are exhibited in museums and galleries around the country (www.oledaart.com). Find her on Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/oleda.baker.
By Online Staff